A day in Hanoi’s Old Quarter
I have many articles about Hanoi attractions including suggested schedule, tips and tricks but not details about one certain place. Today, I will tell you my wonderful day in Hanoi’s Old Quarter as a suggestion what to do in Hanoi. My experience will help you discover Hanoi’s Old Quarter in your own way. You can follow this schedule or keep it as a guide for future reference.
The following suggestions are not all the attractions in Hanoi’s Old Quarter as this area is so large and have a lot of things to discover. However, you should go to these destinations below to do sightseeing and enjoy Hanoi food.
List of destination
- Dong Xuan Market: The crowded downtown with many items, mostly sold by wholesale. The retail price is a little higher if you buy by retail. Come here and learn more about an ancient bazaar with “very Hanoi” views.
- O Quan Chuong: 1 in 5 city gate left, with the gate was renovated to be viable over time.
- Dong Xuan Lane: Where you can enjoy a variety of Hanoi street dishes like Bun Rieu, bun oc (snail noodles), bun ngan (Cairina noodle), especially chè (kind of dessert made with sugar and mung beans, kidney beans, jelly, tapioca, fruit (longan, durian, mango or jackfruit), and coconut cream) to eat in the summer. They are very tasty and cool. The price is from 15,000 VND to 25,000 VND. You should try Bun Oc, rieu (sour soup) and chè.
- Bach Ma Temple: The temple from the Ly era, associated with the construction of Thang Long citadel. This is also one of the four towns of the ancient Thang Long (Bach Ma temple is in the east of the citadel). If you are passionate about history, don’t miss it.
- Bun Cha Hang Buom: Beside Bun Cha Hang Manh, Bun Cha Hang Buom also tastes very good but cheaper and more suitable for students. Price is about 25,000VND/bowl while bun Hang Manh is about 60,000VND/bowl
- Ancient House at 87 Ma May: The old house still retains many lifestyles of Hanoian with its architecture of Hanoi style in the early 20th century.
- Café Shot 60 Phat Loc: This café is towards the guests who love Photography, unique interior decoration. You should come here in the daytime, after the morning stroll and have lunch. This café is located in Phat Loc lane where is famous for Bún Đậu Mắm Tôm (Noodle with tofu and shrimp paste). You can enjoy Bún Đậu Mắm Tôm before relaxing in the café to continue the tour in the afternoon.
- Bia Hoi in Luong Ngoc Quyen: Bia Hoi in Vietnam is the cheapest beer in the world. You will find it in many places in Hanoi but there is a corner that is very popular with tourist in the intersection of Ta Hien and Luong Ngoc Quyen Street. You will sit in a small plastic chair when drinking beer here, which is really a local experience as Vietnamese people are familiar with eating in these places like that.
- O Mai Hong Lam in 11 Hang Duong: A trusted address to buy meaningful gifts for friends in your countries as this is a specialty of Hanoi.
- Dinh Liet Street with boiled snails: They open in the evening only. If you stay at the hotel on Hanoi’s Old Square, this is the place close to where you live to eat tasty dishes of a very heavy Hanoi flavour.
- Stir-fried pig’s offal, fried Pho in Nguyen Sieu Street: It deserves trying stir-fried pig’s offal as it’s so special in Vietnam. It opens in the evening from 7 pm. The restaurant is opposite the shop Acoustic Café (No. 7 Nguyen Sieu). This dish is so delicious. You only sit in sidewalk but it’s clean. Just order Stir-fried pig’s offal, fried Pho and enjoy.
- Bread 25, address 25 Hang Ca: A small bread shop in the sidewalk has attracted many visitors by the taste of traditional Hanoi bread. Fragrant bread made from wheat flour eaten with traditional flavors from the French as Pate, hams, along with cucumbers. Restaurant open daily from 7:00 am until 20:00 pm. Contact owner: Mr. Phuong 0977668895
That’s overview of what to do in Hanoi Old Quarter. Now is the schedule and hotels near these places above.
Hotels in Hanoi Old Quarter
Hanoi’s Old Quarter is the center of the city. It takes place a lot of commercial and tourism activities. Therefore, there are many hotels located in this area. You can choose every type of hotel from hostel to 5-star hotel You can view the map area Cheap hotel in the map below, in three areas mentioned, the hotel costs between $15 – $25 (From 1 to 3 stars). These areas are also convenient for traveling to in the Old Quarter area.
With these destinations above, you’d better choose the hotels in Hang Be Street, Ma May, Thuoc Bac, Hang Ma, Gia Ngu, Hang Bac streets. They are close to the attractions that I have listed above.